Recipes for Summer Sustenance: Black Bean Fiesta Salad
This recipe was created to incorporate as much color as possible into your plate. Each color of vegetable offers differing vitamins and minerals that are essential for your health. They are also packed with antioxidants and phytochemicals that prevent and fight diseases, such as cancer and heart disease!
Along with being high in protein and fiber, black beans are also great sources of folate and magnesium, which have been shown to decrease cardiovascular risk. Avocado is high in heart-healthy fat, and will keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- 2 cups of shredded red cabbage
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed thoroughly and drained (15 oz.)
- 1 cup of corn (defrosted, frozen or fresh - 1 large ear)
- 1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped bell pepper (orange is my favorite!)
- ½ cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- ½ tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, onions. Toss well.
- Add lime juice, oil, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Mix well. It's best to let it sit in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the dressing to soak in.
- Top with avocado and serve as delicious side dish or a crunchy topping for grilled fish tacos!
- Lindsay Friel, MS, RDN - Bariatric Dietitian at Jefferson Health in New Jersey